Attributed to Jacques BLANCHARD (1600-1638)
Vierge veillant l'Enfant endormi (Virgin Mary Wakening Sleeping Infant Jesus)
Oil on canvas
Bearing older number 106 on stretcher
- Height: 72 cm (28-1/4 in.) - Width: 61 cm (24 in.).
- Frame: 85 x 73,5 cm (33-1/2 x 29 in.).
Losses and restorations
Adaptation of one composition by Blanchard known for two other versions
- Museum of Fine Arts, Clermont-Ferrant, France: canvas, 77 x 65 cm (30-1/4 x 25-1/2 in.).
- Auction, Me Anaf, Lyon, April 11,2005, no. 166: signed canvas, 87 x 66,5 cm (34-1/4 x 26 in.).
The painting’s canvas was re-lined long ago and done a bit too tightly. One vertical canvas seam crosses the composition’s center. A network of active flaking on the Virgin Mary’s red dress due to greasy binding material. We note material wear on the left part of Virgin Mary’s face, Infant and Virgin Mary’s blue coat. Restorations on these parts as well as the background. The Virgin Mary’s lips and face’s lower part were restored as well as the lower part. Few minor material losses scattered throughout.
- Piezas: 1
- Referencia Expertissim : 2013030505