Rare, small biscuit porcelain plaque designed as Wedgwood imitation representing a lively, wine harvest scene after an "antique" in cornelian, particularly known under the name "cachet de Michel Ange" (Seal of Michelangelo) story states that it may have belonged to that famous artist.
"Some carried on their heads baskets filled with grapes, others have coupes of wine. Most were gathered under a veil's shade held by two small cupids, forming a natural cradle with two vine stocks that rise along two elm trees. Some of them are peacefully seated rendering a pastoral collation and mingle their songs with those of the birds. " and in the lower section a child fishing.
Second half of 18th Century circa 1778.
Length of biscuit porcelain: 15 cm (6 in.).
Length with frame: 20,4 cm (8 in.).
Very faint kiln marks in the biscuit.
The plaque is in a darkened wood, gilded, oval frame (minor losses on the frame) and never unframed since its era.
Cf: Six plaques were produced and sold for 18 ancient pounds in 1778 as noted in the Les Travaux Extraordinaires de Tristan Jeune (caster) (Extraordinary Works of Tristan the Younger).
Cf: This description by Mariette also specified that: "one knows by tradition that this cornelian belonged to the famous Michelangelo and made it his seal and delight; although there is nothing consistent, it is necessary however to presume without basis. "
"Following the same tradition, a silversmith from Bologna named Augustini Tassi had it after Michelangelo's death and sold it to a woman who was an intendant at the Médici household.
At the beginning of the last century, the Sir of Bagarris who was the guard of the Cabinet of Antiques under Henri IV and Louis XIII, bought it from the heirs of this lady for eight hundred écus, a quite considerable sum for the time.
Sir Lauthier, the father, had it after the death of this antique dealer, then Madam du May his heiress; and it was her children known as Sir Lauthier who sold it to King Louis XIV.
The prince held it in high regard and often carried it on his finger.
It was the most beautiful piece of the King's Cabinet and perhaps of the world. "
Ref.: Bibliothèque de la Manufacture Impérial de Sèvres: Receuil des pierres gravées du Cabient du Roi à Paris chez J.P. Mariette 1750 (King's Cabinet Collection), after the drawings and engravings of Mr. Bouchardon.
El objeto ya no está disponible, aquí hay una gran variedad de productos a la venta que pueden interesarle